Frozen Yogurt Pie with Ground Walnut Crust
2 cup walnuts
1 cup flour
4 Tbsp. oil
(NOTE: These measurements will actually give you a little too much crust. Feel free to experiment with the amounts.)
1 cup tofu
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup honey
Almond extract to taste (I used about a teaspoon)
1. Grind the walnuts as fine as possible in a food processor or coffee grinder. From 2 cups of whole walnuts you should get about 1 1/2 cups of walnut paste.
2. Mix walnuts with flour and oil. Press into 9-inch pie pan.
3. Bake crust at 450ºF for 10-15, being careful not to burn. Let cool.
4. Drain tofu thoroughly. Crumble with fingers into a blender. Add yogurt and mix until smooth.
5. Add powdered milk, one tablespoon at a time. Then add honey and almond extract.
6. Pour filling into crust. Freeze overnight.
(NOTE: It's possible that by the time you're done with the filling, the crust will still not have cooled completely. DO NOT put a hot crust into the freezer if you're using a glass pie pan, because the glass could crack! Pour in the filling and let the pie sit until the pan has reached room temperature.)
Let the pie sit outside the freezer for 15 minutes before serving. Tastes amazing with fruit, but it can stand alone too - the mixture of the walnut, almond extract and honey is really delectable. Amaretto liquor can be used instead of/along with almond extract for a little kick. If you press a bunch of berries into the top this can end up looking quite impressive - like a custardless fruit tart.
crossposted to food_porn